BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

UPDATE!!!!

heres how this lil blog is gonna go today, seeing as how i have no written in soooo long it would be such a looooonnng one if I were to actually write out a full length detailed update on the last 6 months.. so heres how this is gonna go down. POINT FORM! from where I left off.

  • Hecla Radisson Resort-- ended up being a pretty sweet job, yeah at the beginning I felt like quittin very much so, but after awhile I caught on to all the things I was supposed to learn and got fairly good at it. Being a pool girl rocked, cuz I had my own status in the hotel, and was kind of my own boss after awhile. I rocked out my red shirt and skirt and flip flops, and in between cleaning the pools, doing chemical tests, and asking people if they "would be interested in a drink?" I roamed the hotel and made friends with the majority of the staff from the spa, front desk down to the cooks and housekeepers. Towards the end of the summer the servers got frusterated with always having to make my drink orders especially when they were so busy that they challenged me to start making my own! {this didnt actually go down so nicely, they were actually really peeved at me] anyway so I told them, U want me to make these drinks, TEACH me. So miss snarky pants gave me a run down on how to make a pina colada.. thats the first one I learnt. I caught on wwaaay quicker then I thought I would, and after a week or so I was a class A bartender, I think the most ironic thing about making all these drinks, and recieveing tall compliments for them, was that I have no idea what they tasted like! cuz I dont touch the stuff, but none the less apparently I can make a mean Caesar and the best Manitoba Mostquito martini outta all the servers :) At the end of August my boss quit, and my co-maintanence man became my new boss, which put me at the top of the 'maintanence team' so when he hired a new guy, I got to train him how to do the pools! it was funny, how in a few short months I went from knowing nothing to training someone else how to do it all. He did however catch on a fair bit quicker then I did. My new boss proceeded to give me a rocking schedule change and all was nice. Then a week later he told me that I was gonna go help out in the Rok.. I had no choice. Thus I became a server in the most stressful enviroment ever! But it was good for me I think. The cooks became my new best friends, and I learnt what kinda of pressure threshhold I have, I can only serve 3 tables at a time comfortably, like that I'll give ya stellor service, after that I start waning off abit. I learnt about 14 hour shifts, when the only time I had sat down in the whole day was to use the toilet-once. I learnt that I love people but also hate them when they expect you to be able to pour their coffee and also get their toast out to them faster, [what they didnt realize was that I was the one that was in charge of making their toast, so the more things they asked for, the longer it kept me away from making their toast] Mostly I learnt about 'what people dont realize a server all does' I also learnt that the Rok is apparently the most disorganized restuarant ever, so if you can survive it there most other places will be a breeze. So im told.. The tips were amazing! I always felt super blessed when I made more then my days wages worth of tips, and when Id counted it up at the end of the day Id send a lil thank you up to the Lord for these people that give so generously. Serving lasted just over a month, then lay off time arose, and I landed a new job at Fas Gas as a cashier, sure aint glamerous and its a fraction of the paycheck but its better then going on unemployment I reckoned. I actually miss Hecla alot. mostly the people, and the beautiful scenic drive. Im thinking at this point I might just go back next year.. pool girl or server... hmmm
  • Hecla Mission Field- I looked at Hecla as my mission field, which often felt more like a battle field, but none the less I wanted that lil light in me to shine, unfortunetly it took till pretty much the end of summer for people to find out that Im a Christian, or should I say it took me a few months to get a lil bolder about it, but mostly cuz it took awhile for me to start connecting with people. I felt like I was finanlly getting somewhere, but then my job ws done there :( I did invite 2 guys to church tho, ones an athiest, they still havent come though, but they seemed really pumped about the idea at the time. So we`ll see. I just hope some seeds were planted. :)
  • I saved up my tips for a camera... a Nikon D90 to be exact, bought it on September 13th, day before my 22nd birthday. It was very exciting, and I have since taken like 8000+ pictures with it. My plan is to take a photograhpy course.. Ive almost saved up enough for it. I took my familiy`s family pics last Sunday, and now this past weekend I took my aunts and uncles and they turned out amazing! definetly gave the lil photograhper in me a boost in confidence. I still have so much to learn though, and theres so many buttons and options on my camera that I still have no idea what they are for. Eventually I`ll have it figured out"
  • Photograhpy Course or... Haiti..question mark. (my keyboard currently thinks its french so my question marks would come out like thisÉÉÉÉ)

Our church is sending a team to Haiti, its the first missions trip our church has put together to this extent, at first I was like wow that`d be awesome, but I was already so set on doing my photograhpy course that I kind of brushed it off, plus my lil sister latched on to the idea so fast and it became her thing, and our household focused on her going.. but in the last week as the deadline creeps up (we have to let the church know for sure by sunday) Ive really started thinking about it again, I had a really good conversation with my mom about how this is kinda a one time opportunity (sure i could go to haiti whenever but our church is doing this NOW, and is helping out with half the cost) where as I can do my photography course whenever, seeing as how its corspondance and all. Im really not good at shifting gears when Ive had my mind set on something (like my photograhpy) for so many months, but I think Haiti would be one of those things that would be so totally worth it. I dont reckon Id regret it. Plus Id get to be with my sister through it all. 4 more days to think and pray about it, but Im definetly leaning towards saying YES!

So this is my update as of now.. Had 6 weddings this summer as all my lesser tighter friends tied the knot,(last year the tight ones did) I think I can honestly count on one hand how many single friends I have left.. :( but thats almost a whole blog in itself lol

.. Im doin pretty peachy, feeling pretty good bout life right now, jobs a lil on the booorring side, if ur ever driving up the number 8 highway and heading north of Riverton, please stop in at Fas Gas and come chat with me, Id really love you for it.

Cheers!

0 comments: